Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Subjective Perspective

Although my personal experiences have caused me to see through many different lenses, I am only going to pick out ones that I feel are the most evident in my own lense.

1. I chose a fan as my first symbol. To me the fan represents the fact that I am a woman. I am not as able to understand the circumstances of a man as I am a woman. Therefore, my femininity allows me to not only relate with female characters, but also view things from a feminine background.

2. I chose a flower as my second symbol. This represents my love of nature. I believe the fact that I love being surrounded by nature makes me more able to pick out points within a work of liturature where I believe nature plays a large role. On a different level I love to analyze whether the concept of nature vs. nurture is present. (This could relate to my love of psychology, and analyzing the human mind).

3. Next I chose a small stuffed animal. This represents my youth. I have not experienced the years that many others older than me have. I have not lived in generations before the 90's and this could bias my views alot.

4. This symbol will tie into my third. I chose a floppy disk because this represents that I have lived in an age with a reliance upon technology. I may not always be able to relate to times when there was no such thing as "Google," as well as the fact that most jobs required much more manual labor without technology.

5. My fifth symbol is an American flag key chain. This is to represent the fact that I am an American. I have not experienced many cultures outside of my own and therefore cannot fully understand them. When I am reading works of literature, this can have a huge impact on my understanding.

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job explaining these in class Kelly! Would have loved even a little more expansion on how these different "lenses" affect your reading, but I think the different viewpoints you identified show intentional and apt consideration!

    9/10

    ReplyDelete